Thursday, September 18, 2008

Happenings, and then some drawn out musings about religion

Well I don't have anything worth saying right now, but since when has that stopped me? I sometimes wish I had pictures to post because then my blog would be interesting like everyone else that has pictures to post and have interesting blogs. But I guess I'll have to make do with words.

In recent news, a hurricane blew into houston and my parents, younger sister, older sister and her family all decided to chill with us over here for a week. Rosie and Ricky took my room and my computer, so I've been sleeping on the couch and writing this post currently on Jamie's computer. But I don't really mind, I figure a while away from the computer is probably a good thing.
I finally got some new wheels for my car, it's had some bent rims for a while, still need to get them put on the car though, wal-mart won't put my old tires on new rims, they'll only put brand new ones on, but they don't sell tires in my car's size. They basically told me that they couldn't help me. It's rare but this is proof that Wal-Mart is not ALWAYS your one stop shop. (Take note of my use of the word "Always" being that it is the Wal-Mart slogan.)

It's amazing how quickly you can start seeing the world from a non-religious standpoint. It can be quite liberating to stop wondering all the time whether what you are thinking, believing, watching, reading, listening to, or playing, is "out of it" and just do something because it makes you happy. I guess some religions would argue that most things that make you happy are bad for you or something crazy like that. They would probably use parellels like candy being really tasty but really bad for you. Of course to that I would say that anything in excess is bad for you. But nevertheless, whether something is bad for me or not, life is so much less stressfull when you can just say "maybe so, but even if it is I'm willing to take that risk".
I don't think I could ever again be in a group or organization that tells me what to believe. Now you family members reading this don't think I'm trying to say that the familiy is a controlling organization that tells it's members what to believe. I'm simply saying that about all organized religion, it doesn't matter what church, what religion, what group, they've all got their own rules and regulations, their own beliefs, and really there is not much room for personal expansion and accomodation.
Perhaps you don't believe everything that you're required to, does that make you wrong? I think if given the chance to express their individual beliefs freely, without running the risk of discrimination both minor and major, very few people would have exactly the same beliefs about anything. Which leads me to believe that organized religion, or any group that demands that people believe exactly the same things, is fundamentally flawed.

Now lets just call a spade a spade here. Anyone who reads this knows that most of my references are going to be towards the family. And rightfully so as it was the organization I was involved with. That being said don't be offended or take it personally if I seem to be specifically targeting the family, most of what I will say about the family goes just as much for other religions but as the family is the one I have experience with it is the one that I'm going to be referring to.
(However the fact that I'm not capitalizing the family's name is done out of pure spite!! :P)

Now a lot of people are probably going to ask "Is it any better now? Now you aren't sure what to believe. Isn't it better to believe in something and be wrong than to believe in nothing?".
To which of course I would answer yes, it is I agree with that. But a person can believe in a great many things. A person can believe in ideals, moral values, ethics, and be a good samaritan, but not believe in Jesus. Is he so wrong?
The way I see it, a good person is a good person. There is no religious criteria for being a good person. Most of the founders of the greatest religions in the world realized this. Most educated people in these same religions realize this. Unfortuantely many of the masses do not. Many of the masses are led to believe that their twist on religion is correct and anyone who believes otherwise, while perhaps remaining a good person, will be just ever so slightly behind on the spiritual totem pole.
Not only do I see this as lacking any substantial evidence, but ignorant as well as contrary to the teachings of most founders of religious organizations.

As for whether or not I still consider myself a christian, still believe in Jesus, that remains to be seen, but what I'm trying to point out here is that Jesus never started a church....Peter did that.
John the baptist could well have started a religion (Christianity) but instead chose to wander in the wilderness baptizing and preparing the way for Christ. Most great men did not get to where they were but following the masses, by involving themselves with groups and organizations.
Most of the great christian missionaries of the 19th century had to branch out on their own, with little or no support from their churches.
Sometimes in order to do what they believed their god wanted them to do, they had to break away from organized religion. And most did not break away in order to start their own. Most ended up alone, doing what they thought was right without having to worry about anyone telling them otherwise, and they knew better than to try and convince others to follow them on their path.
Each man walks his own path, and it is for him alone to walk it. Paths might intersect and join for a while, but when the time comes for them to break apart each man must be willing to continue down on his own path.
And because that was just a little bit to deep for me I'm going to insert a goofy analogy...they say everyone walks their path because walking is something a person does alone. Otherwise they might carpool, or ride the bus. Which would indicate many people following the same path, not just a similar one or one that merges with another for a while, but the exact same one. A person that does that cannot have a path of their own.

Now I'm sure I'm going to get teased a lot for those last few paragraphs, people saying that it doesn't make any sense, that organized religion has nothing to do with taking people off their own paths and following the path of one person, but honestly that's the way I see it.

How I got onto that subject I don't know, it's just something I was thinking about at the time.
Anyway, I don't think too many people read this blog anymore anyway, so what better place for a little contraversy huh?

Stay tuned next month where I will muse about....politics!

19 Comments:

At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel ya man.

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are right.

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Agent Q said...

HAHA!!! Sounds to me like you are seeking to assuage the guilt of your residual conscience with the soothing balm of cynicism. Fail!

But maybe it's an attempt at deep thought, to which I will quote Jack Handy:
If you ever reach total enlightenment while drinking a beer, I bet it makes beer shoot out of your nose.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger Blog God said...

there's no guilt...whatsoever. Not even slightly. That's what people don't get.
If I'm right I'm right, and that's always a good thing.
And if I'm wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but I'm enough of a selfish person to not care.

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's presumptuous to assume that he feels "guilt" in the first place. I can only speak for myself, but of all the emotions I experienced in the years since I've left, guilt has never been among them. It's not that I'm selfish enough to not care, it's that what I have now is more meaningful to me than what I had before. I can't deny it.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger noone said...

To blog god:

Awww... come on Mr. Ginger, don't be so defensitive. It's tongue-in-cheek, you're supposed to play along. If there is no guilt, good for you. Rom.14:22

But anyhow, as you are fond of debate (if I remember correctly), and as I'm rather bored right now, here are some observations on a few your statements.

1. "Isn't it better to believe in something and be wrong than to believe in nothing?" I would hope you don't agree with that, as that statement is rather contradictory. You will always believe in something, whether you are conscious of it or not. All reasoning is based on axioms which are, by the simplest of definitions, beliefs. And applying that more broadly to worldviews (i.e. Christianity, Agnosticism), you will find that even the belief in nothing is itself a belief (which often boils down to Nihilism).

2. "The way I see it, a good person is a good person. There is no religious criteria for being a good person." The interesting thing about this assertion is that it is based on an axiom inherent in humanity that there exists objectively such a thing as "good" and "bad", with regards to human behavior. The existence of this axiom is perhaps the strongest argument for the existence of a Creator -- the foundation claim of many religions. Which leads me to say...

3. I would agree with your distaste for organized religion in general, but if (emphasizing if) you consider that valid argument against religion - say a particular religion - you would be mistaken. The question is whether the belief (for debate's sake, your belief) is based on self-evident truth, and whether it holds true in the collective experience of human life.

En garde! Monsieur

To loxy:

I stand corrected, madame. My statement being spoken in jest, is not necessary to retract. But as it was only partly in jest, I will apologize for the unnecessary presumption on my part.

Tata friends

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Blog God said...

Jeff, I think you missed the point of my post.

I was not trying to disprove the idea of there being a creator who designed the universe.
All I am doing is pointing out my reasoning for being opposed to organized religion, which, I believe is the fundamental failure of religion in general.

 
At 12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So unsophisticated religious pluralism is what you're going with then, or what exactly is it?

If you don't mind can you write out what exactly your claims about Christ, morality, and pluralism are?

And then I'll throw that up on our site and we can hash them out or something.

In the meantime I recommend:
How Can Christ Be the Only Way to God?
Can We Be Good Without God?

 
At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And Ruthie, what is the deal - are you planning on following up or what?

Link

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Jason said...

this is all very deep and spiritual to be sure, but wouldn't our intellectual energy be better spent counting to elevindy, or harvesting boogers rather then using our "carnal minds" for a purpose other than heart beating and lung pumping.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Class Clown said...

he's right, we should all go eat at sonic and forget our worries.

 
At 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post sounds like you are trying to explain and defend the way you've taken your life, that is why all of your gibberish about religion is empty.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Blog God said...

Your name sounds like you're a skinny white boy who can't cope with the fact that he's a shrimp that women barely notice and tries to compensate by devoting his life to a religion and an institute that he knows very little about and is too young to fully understand, and so he takes the words of others and tries to use them as his own without taking into perspective the full context of what he is even commenting about, which is why he makes blanket statements sounding like fact when in reality they are as subjective as trying to name one color as the best color in existence.

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaha, I'm actualy female, at least thats what they tell me.
Don't you remember?

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, come to my blog of joy and make comments! I invited you...you just need to make it your google account or something.

 
At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, boy, there's no need to explain yourself or what you believe since you left the Family. First off, there is no condemnation to them in Christ Jesus, so why even talk about the "guilt" you don't have or overcame? Jesus is anti-guilt, as far as I know. It's just that we make ourselves feel that way - or others do. I know -- I'm married!!! Hee-hee! And, in the end, it doesn't matter what WE believe. What WE has nothing to do with it. My beliefs are not going to change the fact that God has His agenda, and either I tune in to it, or follow what WE believe, which can be very contrary to His agenda. I'm not making any sense, but, in the words of the famous Woody Allen, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans!" Sorry, I'm on beer right now... hic!

Capt. Anonymous

 
At 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, man-- just found your blog! COOL!

You encouraged me a lot back in San Antonio a year ago. I had no idea what I was doing then. Still don't, but comments like the ones you gave me helped me to have hope even when everything else was all dark n' smarmy! Blessings

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Miracles of the Bridge said...

wow, looks like u got a lot of timeon ur hands to criticize oraginzed religions... cool man wtv u want, just be happy at wtv u do. Luv ya,, come c my blog sometime...

 
At 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good riddance to ppl like you without a backbone.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page